Moles are spots or areas of stained growth on the skin. They occur when the pigment-producing cells in the skin called melanocytes, grow as a bunch as opposed to an even spread. Nevus is the medical term for a mole. A nevus may appear on any part of the body and may range from skin color to black. It may be flat or raised.
When a mole is concerning in terms of change in size, shape, or color you need to visit a dermatologist and consider mole removal surgery. A mole that is bothersome, unattractive, or in a delicate area may warrant excision. When a mole causes itching, swelling, redness, bleeding, or pain, you must consult a dermatologist as it could be a sign of something serious.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye
- What is mole removal surgery?
- Types of mole removal surgery
- What are the procedures?
- What to expect after mole removal surgery?
- Mole removal in Delhi
1. What is mole removal surgery?
Mole removal surgery is a very simple, outpatient procedure that is carried out by the dermatologist to get the mole out of its place.
Moles are of the following types:
- Benign moles- These are normal moles that occur as a result of aggregated melanocytes on the skin. Benign nevi are pink or brown in color and have a distinct border.
- Congenital nevi- They are moles that are present since your birth. They are more likely to transform into cancer than the other types. About 1 in 100 people have these types of moles.
- Irregular or dysplastic nevi- These moles have an uneven color mostly dark brown in the center and a lighter color towards the edges. Mostly they are inherited and have a greater chance of developing into malignant melanoma - a type of skin cancer.
Cancerous moles develop when there is damage to the DNA of the skin cells melanocytes leading to their uncontrolled growth.
2. Types of mole removal surgery
The choice of method used for mole removal surgery will depend upon location, size, appearance of the mole and your age. The mole may be removed by any one of the following methods:
- Surgical excision
- Surgical excision- The mole is examined by the dermatologist to check its appearance and if found to be suspicious, it is removed and sent for a biopsy. It is examined in a laboratory and depending on the nature of the mole, the treatment will be decided upon.
The process involves applying a local anesthetic around the mole area, and then the mole is cut out along with a little bit of the surrounding tissues. A few stitches are made to close the wound. A small mole removal scar results in a fade with time.
- Shaving- Moles that extend beyond the surface of the skin can be shaved. This is done using a special instrument. A small dose of anesthetic is used to numb the area after which the top layer of the mole is removed. There is very minimal or no scarring. The area heals in about 4- 5 days.
- Punch- This method is suitable for moles that are very small. A punch biopsy involves removing the mole as a whole. The dermatologist uses a special tool to remove the skin from the target area. It is minimally invasive and requires no sutures. The area heals in about 10 days.
- Radiofrequency- This method uses high-frequency radio waves through an electrode to remove the mole. It is best suited for moles that are not cancerous and safe to remove. Only a dermatologist can make the right choice of this method. Since it does not require any stitches, the aesthetic results of the procedure are very good.
- Cryotherapy- In this method, Your dermatologist uses liquid nitrogen on moles that can be frozen. The cells that comprise the mole are destroyed by the extremely cold temperature. The body’s immune system forms a covering over the area with dried blood that heals away soon.
- Laser mole removal - A therapeutic dose of light radiation is used to destroy the mole tissue. Laser therapy is a great choice for moles that are in hard-to-access locations such as the ears or visible and sensitive areas such as the face. This method of removal is routinely used for small, flat, and benign moles. Lasers may require more than one session depending on the mole.
3. What is the procedure involved?
When you notice any change in symmetry, color, diameter, border, or size of your existing mole, you must visit the dermatologist for mole removal surgery. The dermatologist has a clinical eye for normal or cancerous moles. After an initial examination, the dermatologist will require a biopsy to rule out the possibility of cancer. Laser mole removal may also be considered.
After categorizing the mole based on the investigations, the doctor will carry out the appropriate procedure in mole removal surgery
Before the procedure, make sure you:
- Eat or drink something before the appointment
- Keep a list of medications that you might be taking
- Tell your doctor about any changes you are experiencing in the moles
- Get help depending on the area of the mole- if it is anywhere on the leg, you may need help getting home..
- Ask the doctor when your sutures might be removed and what you can expect to see cosmetically
4. What to expect after the mole removal surgery
- Visit the doctor after 1-2 weeks for a follow-up examination to ensure that the area is healing well.
- Take proper rest and do not expose the area if it is socially concerning.
- Mild tenderness in the treated area for about 3-4 days after your mole removal surgery
- Keep the area clean and covered with a bandage for 1-2 days to protect the area.
- Protect the skin in the area for about 4- 6 weeks in case of deeper incisions
Even after removal, a mole may return if some of the mole cells are left behind in the area. The chances are very less but sometimes happens in the case of methods where only the top layer has been removed.
Some of the risks and complications of mole removal include:
- Infection at the wound site
- Pain or bleeding from the wound
- Delay in healing depending on your age and skin condition
- Scar formation that diminishes with time
5. Mole removal in Delhi
The cost of mole removal in Delhi may range from Rs 3000 to Rs 10000. The cost will depend upon the size, shape, depth, location of the mole, and the method used. The laser mole removal may lie on the higher end of the price line.
Clair skin clinic is one of the best skin clinics in Delhi and can be your one-stop destination for all skin issues. We provide a host of services under one roof. We are committed to giving you healthy, glowing, and comfortable skin. You will find a solution to your skin problems under the expert guidance of the best skin specialists in Delhi. Visit us and see the difference.